Much cleaning

Over the last few weeks, I have been slowly wire-brushing the surface rust off the rear axle ready for paint. A couple of coats of my preferred anti rust paint and it is much prettier now. I have decided that the various nuts will not be painted – merely cleaned up, greased and allowed to age again. However, the castle nuts have new split pins which look a bit glitzy in their zink coating but that wont last long – it never does. Maybe i should look out for brass split pins…

How the mechanics perform wont be known until the car is driven but re-greasing the various components as i work my way through the car is making everything a lot smoother. Its amazing how sticky old grease is. I am really pleased the rear axle jacks work. Not too many cars still have them and if i can find a replacement front one – i will never need to carry a Jack…


I am restoring a few things that i have not mentioned in the blog so far… so as a teaser…

I have decided after meeting with my future coach-builder (memo to self – start saving the pennies) that the radiator is approximately three inches too tall for a sports special. We both agreed that if i leave it how it is the car will stand too tall and thin – and i would hate to spoil the look the car just for the sake of not having wanted to taken the time to remodel the radiator. So I am now looking for a company that will do the work for me. I think I may have found one.

The actual coach-building discussion i will save for another day, suffice to say i liked the follows and their work and the quote  was not as expensive as MrsC and I were expecting. MrsC was her usual supportive self, i am a very lucky man to have her although I suspect a garden re-design might just pop up in conversation. I could never say no to her, she rarely asks for anything for herself but I am pleased she doesn’t collect shoes.

The petrol tank is pretty much fixed or at least good enough for it to be ‘tried’. I have located a petrol gauge sender but i need to drill quite a large hole in the tank to fit it and then modify the fuel gauge to match empty-1/2-full.

I am also playing with a graphics program having looked into restoring instrument gauges

But to finish off – this weekend, i have a thoroughly enjoyable trip out in learned councils MG 18/80. This was my very first ride in a vintage car. I was quite amusing trying to work out where to my right arm because the cockpit is rather cosy and I also had to keep my leg out of the way whenever first gear was selected. But an open top car, square cut non-syncromesh gears whining nicely below the seat and the burble of fairly unrestricted exhaust all went towards the big grin on my face. We never got above 40Mph but it was such fun. If my Falcon sounds anywhere near as nice I will be happy. The biggest surprise was Learned Council rarely bothering to change out of top gear, the car has so much torque that it really isnt too bothered what gear you are in. A modern car would complain about you trying to do 10Mph in top gear…

The battery charge light refused to go out so we didn’t go too far and on our return we noticed that was because the dynamo wasn’t spinning at all (nor was the water pump) both are driven by the same mechanical drive which we noticed had decided to not be connected to the dynamo any more. A grub screw had fallen out and it took us both a bit of searching through old bolts to find one of the right size with the right thread pitch. My years of hoarding old bolts came up trumps though and its now all fixed.

To cap the weekend off – first born was in a school play – Wind in the Willows, she was fabulous and so was toad… poop poop

Learned Councils MG…



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s